Let's follow up this discussion at the Neptune Community

(this forum will be kept in read-only mode)

How to call method of one app in another running in an iframe

I am running a Neptune app X with an iframe. In the iframe I am running another Neptune app Y. From app Y I want to call a method of app X. I could use window.parent.functionName() and it works only when the apps are running standalone. How to achieve the same when running apps in the launchpad? 

I can't make it global using sap.n in app X because app Y doesn't recognize sap.n functions as it is run in an iframe. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Radek

Hello Radek,

You should use the "Embedded inside another App" capability from the launchpad with a parent container of type Panel (or HBox/VBo)x instead of an iframe for your App Y :

https://template.neptune-software.com/neptune/sdk/explored.html#doc00163EDC99661EE681FB2D0EC66D40DC

Best regards.

PEB

Thanks for this great interesting topic Radek and PEB !

I agree with both of you.

App Y which is inside the iframe will not see the scope of App X.  PEB's approach is super useful.  If using a Panel, please remember to set its height, otherwise you will not see App Y.

Thanks again, have a nice weekend!

Julian

Yes this is true and I am aware of it but my case is slightly different. I need an iframe because in the iframe I am showing a 3rd party website. That 3rd party website will send some data using POST which can be captured on the server side. So I make the 3rd party website to open another Neptune app which retrieves the data on the seerver side and renders in the iframe hence I can't use AppCache.Load().

Thanks,

Radek

Hi Radek,

From my understanding, as you probably want (for performance reason) to avoid polling regularly the SAP back-end from your App Y to know if data has been updated after the POST request from the 3rd party has been processed, you may explore ABAP Messaging/Push Channels mechanisms if your SAP version and the web browers used allow to do it :

http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/connectivity/blog/2014/04/14/abap-channels-part-3-collaboration-scenario-using-abap-messaging-and-abap-push-channels

Your App Y would need to subscribe with a bit of JavaScript to an AMC channel that you create through the AMC/APC SAP framework, and when the POST request of the 3rd party is processed by SAP, you create a new subscription to the same AMC channel and send a message to the APC framework that will read in its ON_MESSAGE method and send a new message to the waiting App Y that will know that the data newly updated can be fetched online on the SAP server.

Unfortunately, I haven't done yet any AMC/APC implementation. Maybe other Community Members have some experience with it and could confirm that it could fulfill your request.

Best regards.

PEB

Login or Signup to post a comment